**** HRP Media Release
Cyber Security Awareness Month
October is Cyber Security Awareness Month and Halifax Regional Police is encouraging everyone to learn more about how they can stay safe online.
You can start by taking stock of what devices and accounts you use to get online. Your online accounts contain a lot of information about you. Make sure that the information stays where you want it to by keeping your accounts secure.
Here are some tips to help keep you, your family and your devices safe when you are online:
- Use a unique password for every account.
- Use passphrases: A passphrase is a type of password made up of four words and over fifteen characters long.
- Don’t share your passwords/passphrases with anyone.
- Enable multi-factor authentication on your devices.
- Customize privacy settings when creating new accounts and check and update existing ones.
- Configure software and operating systems to automatically install security updates
- Install anti-virus software on your devices.
- Back up your data, it could be important if you’re ever the victim of a cyber threat like ransomware or other malware.
- Don’t share personal information online unless with a trusted source.
- Avoid link or texts from unknown sources.
Visit getcybersafe.ca for more cyber security information and tips.