**** HRP Media Release
Halifax Regional Police release impaired driving statistics for June
Halifax Regional Police charged 36 drivers with impaired related offences during the month of June.
Of the 36 drivers, 25 were charged with impaired operation of a conveyance by alcohol, two were charged with impaired operation of a conveyance by drug and nine drivers were issued a driving suspension for operating a conveyance while having consumed alcohol. Of the drivers who provided breath samples, officers were able to detect a wide range of blood alcohol concentrations (80 to 300 mg %) with seven drivers being at least twice the legal limit. One of the drivers refused to provide a breath sample and was charged with the offence of refusal.
Police received 17 calls throughout the month of June from citizens who suspected impaired drivers. We thank citizens for calling in suspected impaired drivers and encourage citizens to call 911 immediately if you suspect someone is driving impaired.
Here are some signs of an impaired driver:
- Driving unreasonably fast, slow or at an inconsistent speed
- Drifting in and out of lanes
- Tailgating and changing lanes frequently
- Making exceptionally wide turns
- Changing lanes or passing without sufficient clearance
- Overshooting or stopping well before stop signs or stop lights
- Disregarding signals and lights
- Approaching signals or leaving intersections too quickly or slowly
- Driving without headlights, failing to lower high beams or leaving turn signals on
- Driving with windows open in cold or inclement weather
If you see a potential impaired driver, call 911 immediately and give the call taker your location along with a description of the vehicle, including the licence plate number, colour, make and model, the direction of travel for the vehicle and a description of the driver.
**** RCMP Media Release
Halifax District RCMP issues over 500 Motor Vehicle Act charges and charged 28 drivers with impaired driving in June
The Halifax District RCMP issued over 500 Motor Vehicle Act charges and charged 28 drivers with impaired driving during the month of June 2022.
Halifax District charged 27 drivers with Impaired Operation of a Conveyance by Alcohol, one driver for Refusal of a Demand and another 20 drivers were issued driving suspensions for Operating a Conveyance While Having Consumed Alcohol. Also, the following summary offences tickets were issued:
- 191 for speeding
- 6 for stunting
- 103 for other aggressive driving
- 34 for distracted driving
- 34 for unlicensed/suspended or revoked driving
- 147 for other Motor Vehicle Act offences
If you see dangerous driving, report it to police when it is safe to do so. It is helpful to include the location of the vehicle, a description of the driver and vehicle (including license plate number, colour, make and model) as well as the vehicle’s direction of travel.