**** HRP Media Release
Holiday safety tips
As we continue to celebrate the holiday season, Halifax Regional Police is sharing some tips to help you protect your home and property.
- If you’re heading out, remember to lock all doors and windows. Consider leaving lights and a television on, or put them on a timer, to make it look like someone is home.
- Don’t hide a spare key outside your home. Leave it with a trusted neighbor, family member or friend.
- Leave outside lights or motion sensors on.
- Always lock your vehicle, even when parked in your driveway. Never leave valuables in your vehicle, especially in plain view.
- Never leave your garage control openly displayed in your vehicle. If your garage is connected to your home, keep the door leading from your garage to the house locked.
- When putting your recyclables to the curb, cut up large boxes from new purchases and ensure you’re not advertising to criminals what new electronics/valuables might be in your home.
- Report suspicious activity, such as a person trying the door handles of parked vehicles, to police by calling 902-490-5020 if it is in progress or 902-490-5016 after the fact.
As we cont down to 2021, we remind you to celebrate the New Year responsibly:
- Never drive impaired. Have a designated driver, take a cab or stay the night.
- Make sure to follow public health directives. For more information on the public health directives and new restrictions, visit: