**** RCMP Media Release
Charges laid in fatal single vehicle collision
The RCMP have charged an Eskasoni man following a fatal single vehicle collision that happened early Thursday morning.
Yesterday just after 1 a.m., Eskasoni RCMP received a call of an impaired driver on 74th St. in Eskasoni. While police were en-route to that call, they were informed of a single vehicle collision on Hwy. 216 in Eskasoni. A description of the vehicle in the collision matched that of the vehicle in the previous call.
RCMP attended the collision scene along with Fire and EHS, where a 24-year-old woman from Eskasoni and was pronounced deceased. The adult male driver, as well as a man and a woman passenger, suffered serious injuries and were transported to hospital.
The driver, 24-year-old MacKenzie Daniel Poulette, of Eskasoni, remains in custody and faces the following charges:
- Second Degree Murder
- Criminal Negligence Causing Death
- Two counts of Criminal Negligence Causing Bodily Harm
- Impaired Operation of a Conveyance
- Operation of Conveyance While Over 80mg% causing Death
- Two counts of Operation of Conveyance While Over 80mg% causing Bodily Harm
- Dangerous Operation
- Two counts of Dangerous Operation Causing Bodily Harm
- Dangerous Operation Causing Death
- Failure to Comply with Release Order
- Failure to Comply with Undertaking
The investigation is ongoing.