**** HRM Media Release
Students will be returning to school on Sept. 7. Some road safety tips to keep in mind:
– Remember to slow down and scan the street and sidewalk when approaching crosswalks and intersections.
– Crosswalks exist on all legs of an intersection, whether marked or unmarked.
– You must stop whenever you approach a stopped school bus with its upper alternating red lights flashing, regardless of whether you are behind the bus or approaching it from the front.
– Be prepared to stop for a school bus at any time, not just within school hours.
– Reduce your speed when entering a school zone. Follow the school zone speed limit anytime children are present, not just during school hours