**** HRM Media Release
Response to COVID-19: Update to recreation activities
The Halifax Regional Municipality continues to monitor and respond to the rapidly evolving effects of COVID-19.
Modified Summer Camps update
Pending the confirmation of recreation safety measures provided by public health, the municipality is planning to offer modified summer day camps beginning July 13 through to August 28. Once public health guidelines for day camps are confirmed and the municipality’s plans meet those requirements, camps will be offered at select facilities during the following sessions:
Weekday mornings camp: one week of three-hour morning sessions from 9 a.m. to noon.
Weekday afternoons camp: one week of three-hour afternoon sessions from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The half-day camp option allows the municipality to maximize the number of participants while following public health protocol and ensuring safe physical distancing. More information on registration and summer camp details will be issued in the coming days once guidelines have been set by public health.
Most camp activities will be provided in an outdoor setting to help maintain provincial physical distancing protocol. If the weather does not permit outdoor activities, then camps will be moved indoors, unless it has been designated as an exclusively outdoor camp.
Camps are planned for children between the ages of six and 12.
Please note: Camps for pre-school aged children will not be offered this summer due to difficulty enforcing physical distancing requirements for this age group. Virtual opportunities will be available for youth (aged 13-24) during the summer. These opportunities will include but are not limited to: employment skills (preparing your resumé), conversations on the environment, conversations on the upcoming municipal election, and the youth services plan committee. The Youth Leadership program will not be offered this summer due to group gathering requirements and health restrictions.
- Municipal partner recreation facilities (i.e. Canada Games Centre, Cole Harbour Place, Halifax Forum, St. Margaret’s Centre, RBC Centre, Zatzman Sportsplex, etc.) are beginning to reopen to members and clients over the coming weeks.
- Other facilities will open in the coming weeks as reopening plans are finalized.
- Please contact each facility directly for information about their opening dates and new procedures.
In addition to planning for day camps, the municipality will be offering additional drop-in recreation opportunities for children and parents/guardians:
Rural service delivery
- New recreation opportunities will be offered in to North Preston, Sheet Harbour, Musquodoboit Valley and Musquodoboit Harbour.
- Programs will be free of charge and on-site registration will be available.
- Programs will include Nature Bingo, Guided Hikes and Arts and Crafts.
- More information will be available in the coming days.
- The REC Van is filled with equipment for activities and sports, bringing free recreation straight to local parks and green spaces.
- This year, the REC Van is being expanded to two vehicles running throughout the municipality.
- All equipment will be thoroughly cleaned after each use.
- Schedule information will be updated in the coming weeks on www.halifax.ca/recreation/programs-activities/rec-van
Outdoor recreation – Adventure Earth Centre
- The Adventure Earth Centre will be offering a number of outdoor programs to encourage residents to get outside, including Guided Adventure Trail Walks, ‘Hug a Tree’ safety-based training, a drop-in ‘Learn-to-fish’ program and a variety of other outdoor activities.
- These programs will be offered in a variety of different locations throughout the region.
- More information will be updated in the coming weeks on http://www.halifax.ca/recreation/facilities-fields/rec-centres/adventure-earth-centre
For more information on municipal services during the COVID-19 pandemic, visit Halifax.ca/coronavirus.
1 thought on “Response to COVID-19: Update to recreation activities”
My son is autistic and i believe he still could volunteer under these circumstances. Please relook at this option.