**** HRM Media Release
Response to COVID-19: Transportation Recovery Plan
The Halifax Regional Municipality continues to monitor and respond to the rapidly evolving effects of COVID-19.
In anticipation of the further lifting of Public Health restrictions, the municipality is preparing to implement adjustments to the transportation network, as part of the collective effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
As the need for social distancing will remain in place for the foreseeable future, and transportation patterns evolve throughout the recovery phase, the municipality is identifying required adaptations to the use of its streets, sidewalks and bike lanes. Municipal staff are actively engaged in planning for measures that can be deployed quickly, while also considering what will be needed over the coming months in response to Public Health directives.
The municipality will focus on the following key areas:
- Necessary adjustments to the transportation systems that will allow for the safe movement of people and goods
- Safety of front-line workers while supporting both operational and remote workforces
- Delivery and pick-up needs for restaurants and other establishments
- Adjustments to crowded areas, such as narrow sidewalks, to support safe social distancing
- Create clear messaging related to transportation recovery efforts