**** Halifax Water Media Release
Halifax Water Extending Support to Customers in Need
The COVID-19 pandemic has many Halifax Water customers concerned about the future and their ability to pay bills in these uncertain times. Access to a clean, safe water supply and reliable wastewater service is vital to maintain individual health, ensure proper hygiene, and sanitation of businesses, health care facilities and households. To further support customers, Halifax Water is taking additional measures to assist those facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
– Customers may defer payments on accounts from March 13th – July 31st.
– No interest will be charged on overdue accounts from March 13th – July 31st.
– Halifax Water fees for dishonoured payments will be waived from March 13th – July 31st.
– Disconnection for non-payment of service is suspended until July 31st.
– Customers facing economic impacts due to the COVID-19 situation that will cause them to struggle with paying their accounts are asked to please contact Halifax Water’s Customer Care Centre at email@example.com or 902-420-9287 to discuss payment arrangements.
General Manager Cathie O’Toole said, “We realize this is an unprecedented period of financial uncertainty for many of our customers. We want to be there to support those customers who are in need and having to make many tough choices during this COVID-19 pandemic. We are here to help customers worrying about their water, wastewater and stormwater service.”
Customers struggling to pay bills and uncertain about future employment or the economy should have confidence that their tap water is safe and reliable, at a fraction of the cost of what they would pay for bottled water. Hand-washing is a key measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and Halifax Water is ensuring safe water is available when you need it.