**** HRP Media Release
Holiday safety tips
As we continue to celebrate the holiday season, Halifax Regional Police is sharing some tips to help you protect your home and property.
- If you’re heading out, remember to lock all doors and windows. Consider leaving lights and a television on, or put them on a timer, to make it look like someone is home.
- Leaving outside lights or motion sensors on makes it easier to see when you return and could deter would be criminals.
- Consider leaving a spare key with a trusted neighbor, family member or friend rather than hiding it outside your home.
- Lock your vehicle, even when parked in your driveway. Avoid leaving valuables in your vehicle, especially in plain view.
- Don’t leave your garage control openly displayed in your vehicle. If your garage is connected to your home, keep the door leading from your garage to the house locked.
- When putting your recyclables to the curb, cut up large boxes from new purchases and ensure you’re not advertising to criminals what new electronics/valuables might be in your home.
- Report suspicious activity, such as a person trying the door handles of parked vehicles, to police by calling 902-490-5020 if it is in progress or 902-490-5016 after the fact.
As we count down to 2023, we remind you to celebrate the New Year responsibly:
- Never drive impaired or ride with an impaired driver.
- Plan ahead if you’re going to be drinking or consuming cannabis or other drugs. Call a cab, arrange a designated driver, take public transit or stay the night.
- Call 911 if you see a driver you suspect is impaired.