**** RCMP Media Release
Canadian kids’ creativi-T leads to 14 names for our new foals
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police is happy to announce the winners of the 2021 Name the Foal contest.
For the second consecutive year, the contest provided families with a fun and entertaining activity to do together during these continued challenging times. After cancelling the classroom portion of the 2020 contest due to the closure of schools across Canada, the RCMP was pleased to resume class participation in 2021.
The RCMP has been breeding its own horses for over 80 years. In addition to being one of the largest licensed Hanoverian breeders in the country, the breeding program is internationally recognized for producing some of the finest Hanoverian horses in Canada.
Youth aged 14 years old and younger, as well as classes, from across Canada were invited to submit their best names starting with the letter T. A total of nearly 3,300 entries were received from across the country, including over 100 from schools.
This year, the winning names will be given to 14 new foals recently born at the breeding farm in Pakenham, Ontario. Among the winning names are two that pay tribute to the lives of famous Canadians. Terry (Fox) is in honour of the humanitarian and cancer research activist of the same name, who passed away 40 years ago this year. Trebek gets his name from long-time Jeopardy! host and proud Canadian Alex Trebek, who passed away in November 2020.
The 14 winning entries are:
- Terry (Fox) – Molly, St. Thomas, ON
- Trebek – Collin, Charters Settlement, NB
- Tango – Leah, Charlottetown, PEI
- Tuque – Madyn, Ottawa, ON
- Tunic – Maisie, Conception Bay South, NL
- Trooper – Danika, Saskatoon, SK
- Tulugaq – Luca, Inuvik, NT
- Tempo – Adyia, Duncan, BC
- Taco – Lauren, Shilo, MB
- Tartan – Delaney, Consort, AB
- Tattoo – Victoria, St-Colomban, QC
- True – Mack, Parrsboro, NS
- Tuk – William, Haines Junction, YT
- Teeka – Mme. Jessica Kieley (Grade 1), Gander, NL (classroom entry from Gander Academy)
Winners will receive a 2021 Musical Ride horseshoe, a picture of the horse they named and a certificate signed by the RCMP Commissioner.
For more information on the contest, or to learn more about the world famous Musical Ride, visit the RCMP website at www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca.