**** HRP Media Release
Police charge two men with weapon offences
Police have charged two men with multiple weapon offences after a traffic stop yesterday afternoon.
At approximately 2 p.m. investigators from the Guns and Gangs Unit of the Integrated Criminal Investigation Division, assisted by members of the HRP Emergency Response Team, stopped a vehicle on the Cobequid Road in Lower Sackville in relation to an ongoing investigation.
Officers stopped the vehicle without incident and investigators seized a handgun and ammunition.
Vernon Washington Brown, 20, and Erich William Heckel, 20, both of Halifax, are scheduled to appear in Dartmouth Provincial court today to face charges of:
- Careless handling of a firearm
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
- Carrying a concealed firearm
- Unauthorized possession of a prohibited firearm without authorization
- Possession of a prohibited firearm knowing it is unauthorized
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm in motor vehicle
- Possession of a prohibited firearm with ammunition