**** HRM Media Release
Locations of 2021 Rainbow Artwork at Crosswalks Program
The Halifax Regional Municipality is advising residents that the rainbow artwork at crosswalk program will be reimplemented and expanded this year.
This year’s program will result in 26 locations painted, 11 which are new, for a total of 53 painted crossings. The rainbow artwork will be completed by Sunday, Aug. 1.
This year, in consultation with the office of Diversity & Inclusion, the crosswalk design has been updated to include the colours of the progressive pride flag – black, brown, pink, light blue and white.
The Halifax Regional Municipality is fully funding the repainting of the following three signalized intersections:
- Spring Garden Road and Queen Street (four at this location)
- Gottingen and Cornwallis streets (four at this location)
- Alderney Drive and Ochterloney Street (four at this location)
Councillors and Business Improvement Districts are funding the painting of the following crosswalk locations:
- Willett and Main streets (four at this location)
- Portland and King streets (four at this location)
- Hammonds Plains Road and Bedford Highway (crosswalk on Hammonds Plains Road only)
- Sackville Drive and Cobequid Road
- Sackville and Leaside drives
- Sackville and Millwood drives
- Portland Estates Boulevard W and Portland Estates Boulevard
- Cow Bay and Shore roads
- Quinpool Road and Harvard Street
- Quinpool Road and Vernon Street
- Herring Cove and Dentith roads (main crosswalks only, does not include right-turn by-pass lanes) (three at this location)
- Barrington and Sackville streets (four at this location)
- Tower Road and Inglis Street (four at this location)
- Main Street at Hartlen Street (both Main Street crossings) (two at this location)
- Waverly Road at Montebello Drive (Waverley Road crossing)
- Highfield Park Drive at Joseph Young Street
- Agricola and North streets (four at this location)
- Cow Bay Road at Samuel Danial Drive
- Lucien Drive at Owen Drive and Windward Avenue (Lucien Drive crossing)
- Cow Bay Road at Caldwell Road (Caldwell Road crossing)
- Pleasant Street at Everette Street (Everette Street crossing)
- Dorothea Drive at Swanton Drive (Swanton Drive crossing)
- Baker Drive at Basswood Run (Baker Drive crossing, north)
Diverse ideas and inclusive actions create stronger communities. This fun and creative approach to sharing the municipality’s Pride as a community is just one way the municipality celebrates and supports Halifax Pride 2021. For upcoming activities, visit halifaxpride.com or halifaxpubliclibraries.ca.
Note: The municipality recognizes that many residents and business owners have a desire to express support for Halifax Pride 2021 through street art, however, sidewalk painting not permitted for residents. Some materials, especially when applied to sidewalks, can become slippery in wet weather. It is in the best interest of public safety that material, other than chalk sticks, is not applied on the right-of-way by residents. Crews will remove artwork on sidewalks that violate municipal By-laws S-300 and S-801.
The cooperation and consideration of residents and business owners is appreciated.