**** HRP Media Release
World Bike Day
Today is Word Bike Day and Halifax Regional Police is encouraging everyone to do their part to safely share our roadways.
- Keep an eye out for cyclists and ensure you allow for 1-meter clearance when passing them.
- Only pass cyclists if it’s safe to do so.
- Do a triple check for cyclists when turning. This check is especially important when turning right.
- When parking on the street, use your mirrors and turn around to check for cyclists before opening your door.
- Check your bike to make sure brakes, reflectors and lights are in working order.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Ride on the right side of the road, in the same direction as traffic.
- Ride in single file.
- Obey all road signs and traffic signals.
- Signal your intentions before turning or stopping.
- Be visible and stay alert for vehicles and other cyclists.